Lance Lee is head of the Litigation and Arbitration Department at Lee International IP & Law Group. Mr. Lee has extensive experience in representing clients in litigations and arbitrations in a wide range of business areas. His arbitration practice experience includes representing clients in many of the major international arbitration centers, including the ICC, ICDR, SIAC, HKIAC, LMAA, LCIA, and the KCAB.
As a partner and chair of litigation and arbitration matters, Lance Lee overseas dispute cases at Lee International, including cross-border litigations. The Legal 500 Asia Pacific noted, ”Highlights for Lance Lee’s team at Lee International IP & Law Group included successfully representing KEXIM Bank in a $180m payment dispute against Kwangju Bank.” (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014).
He advises clients on a variety of transactional issues related to general corporate, corporate financing, and intellectual property matters. Mr. Lee has extensive experience advising clients on corporate M&As, contract negotiations, joint ventures, and intellectual property licensing and infringement protection for multinational corporations and global conglomerates.
Prior to joining Lee International, Mr. Lee worked for ten years at the law firm of Kim & Chang, where he served as a partner. While at Kim & Chang, Mr. Lee co-founded and co-chaired the AMCHAM Government & International Affairs Committee. He served as Group General Counsel for STX Corporation based in Seoul, where he handled all of the legal aspects of overseas corporate investments and outbound arbitrations.
Through his work in AMCHAM, STX and other major institutions with global operations, Lance Lee has maintained a solid global network of high-level government and government-related contacts. Due to his background, Mr. Lee maintains strong contacts at the top level of the Republic of Korea Military and the U.S. Armed Forces.
Prior to joining private practice, Mr. Lee was a U.S. Army JAG Officer, where he worked as trial counsel in courtroom litigation. He completed his military service with the rank of Captain, and graduated from the JAG Officer Basic Course and the U.S. Army Airborne School.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., 1997)
- University of Virginia (B.A., 1994)
- Civic Involvement
- Mr. Lee is a recognized leader in the area of government affairs and public policy. In 2005, Lance Lee was appointed to serve as the Co-Chairman of the AMCHAM Korea Government & International Affairs Committee, and in this capacity he has advocated public policy goals and interests of companies entering into commercial arrangements with governments. He actively participated in the inclusion of AMCHAM member companies’ interests and goals in the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement.
- Mr. Lee also co-chaired the AMCHAM Korea Government Procurement Forum, where he played an instrumental role in ascertaining and promoting the specific needs of the foreign business community in government contracting processes.
- In 2009, Lance Lee was appointed to serve as a Country Chairman for Republicans Abroad International (Korea Chapter), the international arm of the Republican Party of the U.S. During his country chairmanship, in which he is continuing to serve, Mr. Lee has been at the forefront of advocating bipartisan public policy issues on behalf of U.S. multinational companies and individuals located overseas.
- He has advanced policy initiatives to help shape U.S. legislation affecting companies and individuals overseas, including federal taxation matters, trade regulations and policies, and has helped develop public policy strategies for investments involving application of international treaties and regulations in both the U.S. and Korea.
- Admitted to Bar, Washington, D.C. (2000)
Publications / Articles
- Considerations in Contracting with DAPA (Asian-Mena Counsel Magazine, Volume 12, Issue 3, 2014)
- To Litigate or Arbitrate: That is the Question in South Korea (Asian-Mena Counsel, Volume 11, Issue 3, 2013)
- International Arbitration in Korea – Award Enforcement (Asian-Mena Counsel, Volume 11, Issue 1, 2013)
- International Product Liability Law - A Worldwide Desk Reference: Korea (2003)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- District of Columbia Bar (DCB)
- In-House Counsel Forum
- The American Chamber of Commerce in Korea (AMCHAM)
- Litigation and Arbitration
- General Corporate
- Corporate Financing
- Intellectual Property