Matthew is Partner and a criminal law specialist with 20 years of experience in major criminal fraud trials and investigations. He handles all kinds of fraud cases and focuses on raising arguments designed to stop cases reaching charge or trial.
- Successfully acting for the Directors of London based, Soma Oil and Gas, in connection with the SFO’s investigation in to allegations of bribery and corruption in respect of oil contracts in Somalia.
- Advised in connection with contentious oil contracts in Iraq arising out of dealings between Western Zagros and the Iraqi Government
- Acting for a Middle Eastern Government in a major UN criminal investigation
- Two House of Lords appeals and two European Court of Human Rights cases
- Ran the LCB litigation which caused Customs & Excise to be stripped of their powers to prosecute and forced their merger with the Inland Revenue
- Advised in the first ever prosecution of individuals arising from the Oil-For-Food Sanctions.
- Advising in two major international corruption cases involving the SFO and DOJ
- Represents three separate clients in proceedings in Athens brought by the Greek government alleging bribery against the Greek State
- Acted for two separate clients in the Libor trials involving ICAP and Barclays
Matthew was a founding partner of Byrne and Partners LLP in 2003. He has been referred to as a leader in his field in Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500 for approximately 18 years and is also listed in international directories as a leading crime specialist.