Phillip is one of Australia’s leading criminal defence lawyers. Having over 30 years of experience in all areas of criminal law his practice now focuses solely on serious, complex, and international crime.
Serious and Complex Crime
As a result of his experience and skill as a defence lawyer Phillip can manage and advise on the most complex cases. In the areas of traditional crime Phillip has acted in many large and serious drug matters including the largest ever importation of drugs in Australia, high profile murder trials and numerous complex fraud matters including international / transnational bribery. Phillip specialises in the following types of cases.
- White collar and corporate crime
- Serious fraud
- Money Laundering
- Commercial and international drug supply
- Drug importation
International / Transnational Crime
With the proliferation of e-commerce and the availability of the internet to communicate and transfer money around the world many criminal investigations now involve overseas law enforcement bodies and require an ability to work on an international scale. Phillip has advised on cases involving China, U.S.A., United Kingdom, Sweden, Czechoslovakia, South Korea, British Virgin Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore, and New Zealand. These cases often involve assets forfeiture and multiple jurisdictions. This work includes the following:
- International money laundering
- New South Wales Crime Commission (NSWCC)
- Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC)
- Independent Commission Against Corruption
- Royal Commissions
- Transnational crime
- Cyber crime
- Extradition law
- Mutual Assistance in Criminal matters
- National Security law
- Proceeds of Crime law
Phillip appears in all courts in Australia and travels extensively outside Australia to facilitate the defence of his clients in international / transnational matters.
Positions Held and Memberships
1999 – current: Accredited Specialist in Criminal Law
2002 – current: Member NSW Law Society Criminal Law Committee
2016 – current: Chair NSW Law Society Criminal Law Accredited Specialist Advisory Committee (assesses applicants to be accredited specialists in criminal law in NSW)
Member of the following organisations:
- National Association of Criminal Defence Lawyers (USA)
- The Law Council of Australia
- International Law Section
- Law Asia
- the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law
- The Extradition Lawyers Association
- The American Bar Association (International Associate)
- International Law Committee
- Criminal Law Committee
- Cyber Crime Committee
- White Collar Crime Committee
- The International Bar Association
- War Crimes Committee
- Criminal Law Committee
- Asia Pacific Regional Forum
- 2016: Global Law Experts named Nyman Gibson Miralis the leading white collar defence firm in Australia. Global Law Experts (GLE) is the premier guide to leading attorneys throughout the world.
- 2016: Corporate Live Wire named Nyman Gibson Miralis as the leading white collar defence firm in Australia
- 2016: Corporate Live Wire names Nyman Gibson Miralis as the leading criminal defence firm in Australia
- The Corporate Live Wire Legal awards honour and celebrate achievements within the Global Law community.
- 2016: International Advisory Experts named Nyman Gibson Miralis as white collar criminal lawyers of the year in Australia.
- International Advisory Experts is a global alliance of well-established and experienced legal, financial and consulting firms that are committed to providing clients with specialist solutions for their international business requirements
- 2016: Doyles Legal Guide named Phillip Gibson as a leading criminal defence lawyer
- 2016: Doyles Guide named Nyman Gibson Miralis as a leading criminal defence firm
- Doyles is the most comprehensive guide to Australia’s best lawyers, law firms and barristers.
- 2016: the 11th Annual ACQ5 GLOBAL AWARDS named Phillip Gibson as Criminal Defence Lawyer Of The Year for Australia.