Christoph Schmitt has been advising national and international clients in the areas of commercial and corporate law as well as employment law for more than two decades. He is a nationally recognized expert and highly recommended throughout Europe by Chambers for national and international business contract law, in particular in drafting and negotiating company ( M&A) purchase agreements, topics related to general terms and conditions and distribution law. He is specialized in corporate law and advises companies in the fields of corporate structuring, shareholder disputes as well as mergers and acquisitions. Christoph Schmitt regularly gives seminars at well-known seminar organizers (e.g. Beck Akademie, Forum Institut für Management, Otto Schmidt Verlag) in national and international contract law matters and he trains in-house counsels and lawyers. Moreover, Christoph Schmitt is the author of various specialist books and publications.
Chambers Europe has been highly recommended Christoph Schmitt as a leading lawyer in Commercial Contracts.
- Construction of franchise systems
- Drafting, representation and implementation of franchise contracts
- Contractual advice and support for franchisee and franchiser
- Judicial enforcement of rights arising from franchise agreements
- Legal advice on company law matters, in particular relating to shareholder disputes
- Commercial law, in particular advising on the optimised structuring of distribution systems, drafting, reviewing and negotiating national and international business contracts, incl standard terms and conditions; ongoing advice and support in drafting Project and joint venture contracts, framework arrangements, collaborations and confidentiality agreements as well as General Terms and Conditions
- Distribution law, in particular drafting, reviewing and negotiating distri-bution contracts, agency and distributor agreements both within the Federal Republic and internationally
- Law relating to standard terms and conditions, in particular drafting and reviewing general conditions of sale and purchase, standard contracts and preformulated terms; other contractual clauses, also reviewing and drafting contracts in relation to general conditions of business and use in E-Commerce
- Joint ventures, in particular advising on and drafting joint venture ag-reements within the Federal Republic and internationally
- Trade law and company law, in particular advising on structural issues, advising and litigating on any commercial issues, drafting company constitutional documents and advising on disputes with shareholders; advising directors and Boards on how to avoid liability; drafting shareholder agreements
- Employment law, in particular advising on all issues pertaining to indi-viduals and industrial relations including proceedings involving termi-nation of contract
- Intellectual property, in particular competition advice on advertising concepts and defending the company’s position; advising on the pro-tection of know-how and dealing with thefts of know-how
- Litigation, in particular commercial contracts, intellectual property and employment law.
- contract design and contract negotiations
- China Desk, Head of China Desk
- Advising on structural issues, drafting contracts for German/Chinese joint ventures
- Advising Chinese companies on the European market entry and the acquisition of companies and participations
- Advising European companies on settlement, distribution and joint ventures in China
- Member of the Deutsche Vereinigung für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V. (GRUR)
- Member DCW Deutsch-Chinesische Wirtschaftsvereinigung e.V.
- Member of the Board of Unternehmer-Motorradclub Rhein-Ruhr e.V.
- Author of: ICLG Franchise 2018 Germany: A practical cross-border insight into franchise law
- Author of publication "Practical Law's Cross-border contracts and boilerplate clauses (Germany)", Thomson Reuters 2017
- Getting the Deal Through: Commercial Contracts 2016
- Editor of the work „Allgemeine Verkaufs- und Lieferbedingungen (B2B)“ (De Gruyter)
- Editor of the work „Praxishandbuch Gestaltung von Wirtschaftsverträgen“ (De Gruyter)
- Author of the work "AGB-Anwaltskommentar" (Deutscher Anwaltsverlag)
- Author of the work "Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen und Verträge für Unternehmen" (Springer Verlag)
- Author of the work "Regelungsfallen in Wirtschaftsverträgen"
- Author of the work "Projektverträge im Anlagenbau" (Springerverlag beginning 2013)
- AGB Fallstricke in Handelsvertreterverträgen (H&V JOURNAL)
- OLG Düsseldorf: Zulässiger Werbeanruf bei Gewerbetreibenden (CR Computer und Recht)
- Differenzierungsklausel - kein Exklusivrecht für Gewerkschafter, "zweifelhafte Klauseln der Gewerkschaften" (Börsen-Zeitung)
- Studied German law at Universität Köln
- 1993 – took the Deutsche Anwaltsinstitut’s course to become a Fachanwalt in Employment Law
- 1990 - 1992 Company adviser
- 1992 - 1993 Kübler & Rogier, Rechtsanwälte
- 1993 Weber & Sauberschwarz, Rechtsanwälte
- 1993 - 1999 Rechtsanwälte Herzog Meyer Will (Partner since 1996)
- 1999 onwards - Hoffmann Liebs Fritsch & Partner Rechtsanwälte mbB (Partner since 1999)