Partner and Practice Leader – Contentious Insolvency and Asset Recovery
Kevin is the founder and practice leader of what is now the largest dedicated contentious insolvency team in the UK focused solely on asset recovery which was recently awarded ‘Who’s Who Asset Recovery Experts Firm of the Year 2017’.
He is an expert in investigating corruption, fraud and asset tracing globally with over 25 years’ of experience in the field. He is routinely appointed by government and other regulatory agencies, both in the UK and globally, over structures that have suffered losses caused by corruption or fraud to trace and recover stolen funds from the perpetrators.
He is a licensed insolvency practitioner who pioneered the use of insolvency powers as a tool to trace and recover assets on an international basis, having recovered substantial sums for creditors worldwide.
He was awarded ‘Number 1. Thought Leader in Asset Recovery’ by Who’s Who Legal in their 2017 Experts Analysis, having received the highest number of nominations from peers, corporate counsel and other market sources. He is described by them as a “pugnacious and commercial” expert who lawyers “rank very highly”. He is noted as having a “huge breadth of experience” assisting clients with the recovery of assets.
Professional qualifications and memberships
Presentations and Publications
Kevin is a regular speaker at conferences globally on strategies to be adopted investigating government corruption.
- Leading two separate global investigations into a current overseas government regime involving alleged large scale money laundering/grand corruption in the £ billions. The assignments involved the collection and review of evidence from various sources, interviews with key parties, communicating with intelligence agents and domestic/international lawyers. Working alongside journalists and prosecuting authorities in a number of jurisdictions.
- Leading a forensic investigation into a multi-billion dollar BVI Trust. The Trust was set up by a Russian entrepreneur and his advisor. Kevin assisted the trustees in investigating the misappropriation of assets worth at least $100 million by the advisor, and submitted reports detailing his findings to be used in support of the Trust's civil claim.
- Joint Trustee of the late Russian oligarch, Boris Berezovsky, with reported wealth of c.$3 billion. Management of the estate involves substantive investigations and litigation in challenging jurisdictions involving a complex web of offshore companies and trusts. Confidential investigations remain on-going.
- Routinely assisting the UK Government to determine asset recovery strategies to combat tax fraud which causes loss of c£2billion/annum to the UK. Grant Thornton is now a leading adviser in this area. Kevin has successfully litigated cases including Alpha Sim Communications Ltd & Ors v Caz Distribution Services Limited & Ors  and Regalway Care Ltd (In Liquidation) v Shillingford . He was recently in the Supreme Court on Jetivia SA and Another v Bilta (UK) Limited and Others 
- Trustee in Bankruptcy of convicted money launderer involving mortgage fraud. Claims of c$70 million and assets hidden overseas.