Elias is Ghanem law firm’s founder and chairs the firm's Management Committee which is responsible for the management of the firm and for Ghanem law firm's strategic growth and development.
He has over 20 years’ experience. His practice specializes in international arbitration, Business field, Corporate law including Banking, Telecommunication, Insurance, with a particular focus on equity trusts (protection of assets), as well as aspects of construction, property management and real estate.
- Master of Laws LL.M, specialized in Internationl Business Law, University of London.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Laws with specialisation in Commercial and Corporate Law, University of London.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws with specialisation in International Dispute Resolution, University of London.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws with specialisation in Equity and Trusts Law, American University of Technology.
- Bachelor Degree in Laws, Lebanese University faculty of Law.
- Successfully completed the course on “FATCA” provided by the “Beirut Bar Association” and “Amicorp”.
- Successfully completed the course on “The FIDIC Contracts” provided by CONERSTONE SEMINARS of London (FIDIC accredited training supplier).
- Successfully completed the course on “Drafting Contracts” in French language “La redaction d’actes” provided by the European community project with the coordination of the Beirut Bar Association.
- Successfully awarded the introductory Certificate in international arbitration by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London).
- Successfully awarded a trophy and completed a course on the principal of subsidiarity in International courts of Human Rights, by Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
Career & Qualifications
- Official receiver in the ministry of justice - 2015
- Executive Board Member at Lebanese International Arbitration Center of Beirut Bar Association (LIAC) - November 2014
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators at Member of the panel of arbitrators LIAC - MCIArb London - November 2014
- Appointed as a member of the Arbitration Committee at Beirut Bar Association. The committee is working on establishing an international arbitration center in the Bar of Beirut. I am currently advising the committee on how to structure the center and the ideal arbitration rules to be adopted accordingly (2014- present).
- Associate member of the chartered institute of arbitrators (CIArb).
- Appointed as a member of the Judicial Aid Committee at the Beirut Bar Association (2005-2007).
- Founded GHANEM LAW FIRM in the city of Beirut – Lebanon in 1997.
- Admitted as lawyer at Beirut bar association in 1994.
- Advising on the best ways to structure a business with the use of diverse legal vehicles (such as Holding, Offshore companies, and Offshore Trusts).
- Incorporating companies with the commercial registers and Free Zones in Lebanon.
- Registering trade names, trademarks and other IP rights with the relevant authorities.
- Counselling on government tenders taking place in Lebanon and the GCC countries.
- Counselling on matters pertaining to Lebanese Laws such as: International arbitration, Corporate, Contract, Banking, Insurance, Labor, Real Estate, Tax, Intellectual Property Laws and miscellaneous.
- Drafting, reviewing and commenting on a variety of legal documents (both in English, French and Arabic Languages), such as:
JV Agreements, Memorandum and Articles of Association, Shareholder Agreements, Consortium Agreements, Stock Purchase Agreements, Franchise Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Asset Purchase Agreements, Contracting Agreements, Conveyance Agreements, Tender Agreements, Lease Agreements, Employment Agreements, Real Estate Development Agreements, Memorandum of Understandings, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Consulting Agreements, Proxies, Pledge Agreements, Settlement Agreements and miscellaneous.
Legal letters and notices
Corporate Resolutions (GAs and BODs).
- Advising clients on potential M&A s and conducting due diligence.
- Updating clients on new laws and regulations for compliance.
- Assessing the chances of winning potential legal actions and advising clients whether to take action or negotiate a settlement accordingly.
- Preparing, submitting and following up lawsuits in the courts of First Instance, Appeal and Cassation. The majority of those litigations involve: Corporate, Insurance, Banking, Real Estate, Telecom, Employment, Intellectual Property, Penal laws and miscellaneous.
- Representing clients (as plaintiffs or defendants) before the courts and arbitration tribunals and advising them on the best strategies to conduct their cases.
- Instituting Injunctive proceedings before the competent judicial authorities for the protection of client’s rights.
- Negotiating and drafting settlement agreements.
Real Estate & Construction
- Counselling on matters pertaining to Lebanese real estate Law, reviewing and commenting on legal documents, registering real properties with the Real Estate Registers.
- Due diligence investigations to identify and assess legal risks associated with real estate transactions.
- Management of properties.
- FIDIC agreements.
Media Appearances (Television and Radio)
- Interviews on international and Commercial Arbitration on OTV (LEB) 2016.
- Interviews on international and Commercial Arbitration on NBN (LEB) 2016.
- Interviews on Human Rights programs on Charity (TV) 2015.
- Interviews on Domestic and International Arbitration on “Voix du Liban” (Radio) 2014.
- Interviews on Human Rights programs on Tele Lumiere (TV) 2005-2006.
- Fluent in English
- Fluent in French
- Fluent in Arabic