Walter Andrews heads the insurance and reinsurance practice at Hunton & Williams. He is a fellow in the American Bar Foundation; a member of the Federal Defense and Corporate Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the International Association of Defense Counsel and ARIAS-US. A graduate of the University of Chicago of Law School, Mr Andrews is admitted to practise in Virginia and the District of Columbia and admitted pro hac vice in 39 states. He is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in the area of insurance.
Mr Andrews regularly litigates high profile, large exposure insurance coverage cases in state and federal courts nationwide on behalf of some of the world's largest insurers. He represents insurers and reinsurers in coverage and bad faith disputes involving business interruption, construction defect, reinsurance matters, e-commerce issues and other emerging claims. These matters involve a variety of insurance contracts, including: professional liability, first party property, general liability insurance policies and various reinsurance agreements. He has extensive experience in trial and appellate courts nationwide, as well as reinsurance arbitrations.
Furthermore, Mr Andrews - a frequent lecturer on emerging liability, insurance and reinsurance topics as well as discovery, trial strategy and ethical issues - has addressed the Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, the 16th Annual International Reinsurance Congress, the Property Loss Research Bureau, the Intermediaries and Reinsurance Underwriters Association, the Defense Research Institute, and many other leading industry organizations.
Professional highlights include:
- ANC Rental Corp v Lexington Ins Co No 0302149912(FL Cir Ct Broward County, Mar 12, 2007)
- PMA Capital Ins Co v US Airways, Inc, 626 SE2d 369 (Va 2006)
- Taurus Holdings, Inc v United States Fidelity & Guaranty Co, 913 So2d 528 (Fla 2005)
- Taurus Holdings, Inc v United States Fidelity & Guaranty Co, 431 F3d 765 (11th Cir 2005)
- Pulte Home Corp v Fid & Guar Ins Co, Law 210454, slip op (Va Cir Ct Feb 6, 2004
- 54th Street Ltd, et al v Fid & Guar Ins Co, 763 NYS2d 243 (NY App Div 1st Dep't 2003)
- SR Int'l Bus Ins Co v World Trade Ctr Prop, LLC, 222 F Supp 2d 385 (SDNY 2002), aff'd, 345 F3d 154 (2d Cir 2003)
- St Paul Mercury Ins Co v Pitt County Memorial Hospital, Inc No 4:01-CV-35-H-4 (EDNC June 18, 2002).
- Ellett Bros Inc, v United States Fid & Guar Co, 275 F3d 384 (4th Cir 2001), cert denied 537 US 818 (2002).
Publications: Mealey's Business Interruption Insurance; Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes; Coverage; Mealey's Product Liability and Risk; Andrews Insurance Coverage Litigation; Tort and Insurance Law Journal; and Mealey's Litigation Report: Insurance and The Computer and Internet Lawyer.