Domestic and international commercial arbitration
Anton Maurer accepts appointments as arbitrator.
In the last 3 years, I was appointed to serve as arbitrator, among others, in the following types of cases:
- DIS arbitration in Germany: post m&a dispute between a German and a Korean company;
- ICC arbitration in Switzerland: commercial dispute between an U.S. and a Korean company;
- ICC arbitration in Switzerland: commercial dispute between a French and an English company with a Korean company;
- ICC arbitration in Malaysia: distributorship and agency compensation claim between a German and an U.S. company;
- ICDR arbitration in the Netherlands: franchising dispute between a German and an U.S. company;
- KCAB arbitration in Korea: commercial dispute between an English and a Korean company.
Anton Maurer also represents and advices companies in arbitration disputes as counsel or co-counsel; he did this for more than 30 years.
Anton Maurer was appointed as arbitrator in domestic and international arbitration proceedings under DIS, ICC, ICDR and KCAB Rules of Arbitration.
He represented clients as counsel in domestic and international arbitration proceedings and in ad hoc arbitration proceedings, and under CIETAC, DIS, ICC, Swiss and UNCITRAL Rules.
Anton Maurer represented clients in domestic and international litigation proceedings in Germany, and organized the defense of clients in France, Italy, Liechtenstein, Monaco, the Netherlands, Portugal, and the USA.
Anton Maurer represented clients in a great variety of commercial negotiations, corporate, and M&A transactions in the value between USD 20 million and 1.6 billion in or with respect to more than 60 countries and more than 90 jurisdictions.
Anton Maurer served as a member of the board of directors in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the USA.
He worked for companies in the following areas: machine manufacturing, tool manufacturing, automotive, automotive supply, electrical equipment, construction, chemical products, pharmaceutical products, paper industry, medical equipment, consumer industry.
- German (mother tongue)
- English (professional knowledge)
- Portuguese (beginner)
PROFESSIONAL RATINGS - WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT ANTON MAURER
- "Anton Maurer is a "skilled litigator" with a focus on international disputes. … Anton Maurer (is) an investment focused litigator with a strong cross-border practice acting for US entities." (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2012)
- "Anton Maurer is recognized for both commercial litigation and product liability defense. He has a particular focus on the USA and is 'world class'. … Anton Maurer focuses on US litigation and arbitration." (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2013)
- "Anton Maurer is 'phenomenal'. … Anton Maurer is noted for his 'thoroughness'with one peer commenting that 'no detail escapes his notice'. … Anton Maurer is an 'excellent' practitioner with "first class" litigation skills." (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2014)
- "Anton Maurer is a 'real asset to clients' who praise his "creative solutions". (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2015)
- "With 'unparalleled talent', clients and peers recommend Anton Maurer for his 'brilliant commercial acumen'. … The "incomparable" Anton Maurer is recognised for his involvement in international disputes" … Anton Maurer is a "well reputed" product liability defense lawyer. His 'commercial approach' and 'diligent manner' are highly recommended." (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2016).
- Anton Maurer is a "seasoned arbitrator". (Who'sWhoLegal Germany 2018)
PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
Anton Maurer has given many arbitration focused speeches in Belgium, Brazil, China, Dubai, Germany, Hong Kong, Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Turkey, and the USA since 2002, and he has published books and articles
- Independent Arbitrator
- Attorney at Law, and Managing Director of Anton Maurer International Legal Services, in Stuttgart, Germany, and in St. Moritz, Switzerland - since 2017
- Partner with Sigle Loose Schmidt-Diemitz & Partner, now: CMS Hasche Sigle, Stuttgart, Germany - 1987 – 2016
- Associate with Sigle Loose Schmidt-Diemitz & Partner, Stuttgart, Germany - 1983 – 1986
- Foreign lawyer with Johnson & Swanson, Dallas, TX, U.S.A. - 1984 – 1985
- Junior Professor (wissenschaftlicher Assistent) at Eberhard-Karls-University, Tübingen, Germany - 1979 – 1982
- Diploma in International Arbitration - Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, England (2016)
- Master of Laws in U.S. and Global Business Law - Suffolk University, Boston, MA (2009) (22 out of 24 credits with high honors)
- PhD in international public law from Eberhard-Karls-University in Tübingen, Germany - magna cum laude (1986)
- Second State Exam in Law in Baden-Württemberg, Germany - fully satisfactory – top 10 % (1982)
- First State Exam in Law in Baden-Württemberg, Germany - good – top 5 % (1979)
- Studies of law and economy at the Eberhard-Karls-University in Tübingen, Germany - (1974 - 1979)
- Scholarship for highly gifted students from the Konrad Adenauer Foundation - (1975 - 1979)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Legal Expert of Benchmark Chambers International, Shenzhen, China - October 2016
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, England - August 2016
- Award of the Southwestern Institute for International and Comparative Law in recognition of his tireless leadership and his many years of extraordinary service to the Institute and its educational mission - July 2015
- Mentor Professor of the Law School at Hangkuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, Korea - May 2011
- International Who'sWho Legal:
- Commercial Litigators (since 2010)
- Product Liability Defense Lawyers (since 2011)
- Germany (since 2012)
- John Neumaier Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to IADC - July 2016
- Joan Fullam Irick Award in recognition of his exceptional leadership as Chair of the International Committee of IADC - July 2009
- Kemmler Award for Outstanding Contributions to the World Law Group - June 2007
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Center for American and International Law (CAIL) - Plano, TX, USA (since 2008)
- Past Chair of the International Arbitration Committee of IADC - (2016 - 2019)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration - Plano, TX, USA (since 1997)
- Past Member of the Executive Committee of the Southwestern Institute for International and Comparative Law - Plano, TX, USA (2003 - 2016)
- Past Member of the Advisory Board of the Southwestern Institute for International and Comparative Law - Plano, TX, USA (1993 - 2016)
- Past Chair of the Advisory Board of the Southwestern Institute for International and Comparative Law - Plano, TX, USA (2008-2012)
- Past Member of the Board of Directors of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) - Chicago, IL (2011-2014)
- Past Chair of the International Committee of IADC - (2007-2009)
- Past Chair of the International Arbitration Committee of IADC - (since 2016)
- Member of several supervisory boards and boards of directors in Germany, in Switzerland, and in the USA
- American Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Center for American and International Law (CAIL)
- European Lawyers Association (DACH)
- German American Lawyers Association (DAJV)
- German Bar Association
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS)
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Law Association (ILA)
- InterPacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)